Table of Contents
No matter how successful you are in life it can all be undone by a substance use disorder.
Professionals who have worked hard to reach a certain level of career success have probably endured a heavy stress load. After all, success doesn’t just happen. On the way to the top there’s a price to pay, such as countless hours invested in the quest. Work demands can take their toll on mental health, and a drug or alcohol problem can develop.
Although the idea of professional stature is appealing, some may find that chronic stress may lead to increased substance abuse. Drug and alcohol abuse can develop as an attempt to self-medicate the symptoms of stress. Over time, this can turn into alcohol or drug dependency, something that can undermine everything you have worked for.
Executive rehabs provide the perfect setting for the professional in need of addiction treatment to get help. These programs have carved out a niche that caters to the needs of people who have acquired high-level positions. While a busy professional may need treatment for a substance use disorder, they also need to interface at work. An executive rehab will address these unique needs and accommodate them.
Features of an Executive Rehab Program
A high-level business professional will usually avoid the need for addiction treatment at all costs. This is usually due to a fear that their career might suffer if their treatment became public information. Damage to their reputation is a paramount concern. If an executive is going to be attracted to rehab the right amenities must be provided.
Professionals seeking addiction treatment will require that certain features are included in the program. This is because the busy executive will still need to remain engaged with their team during their stay in rehab. Specifically, this means they will require access to technology during their residential stay. Therefore, executive rehabs are designed to provide these services to their clients.
In addition to Wi-Fi access, the executive rehab programs also offer designated workspaces and even meeting rooms. Other amenities include such features as a gourmet organic menu, on-site gyms, and recreational activities such as golf or tennis. Additionally, the rehabs that cater to executives tend to offer a higher level of confidentiality and discretion.
What Is the Difference Between Residential and Outpatient Executive Rehabs?
There are two basic settings in which addiction treatment is provided, residential and outpatient. Each of these options has pros and cons to consider, but the severity of the substance dependency determines level of care. Generally, residential rehab programs provide a higher level of care with 24-hour support and monitoring. However, outpatient programming may be the best option for a busy professional who cannot take an extended leave.
With the outpatient option, the executive is able to reside at home during treatment, which usually lasts 3-4 months. This also allows them to remain active at work outside of treatment hours. Currently, during the pandemic, outpatient programming has gone online, which could be even more convenient.
Although the outpatient option is more convenient, it does not offer the same level of intensity as a residential rehab program. Residential programs provide accommodations for an extended stay, usually 1-3 months. This is where the executive features come into play, making it conducive to the professional’s needs.
Will I Need to go through Detox?
If a drug or alcohol dependency has developed it is essential that the individual first completes a detox program. Many residential programs offer these services in-house, otherwise they can be obtained in dedicated detox facilities. Therefore, addiction treatment cannot proceed until the detox and withdrawal phase has been successfully completed.
Detox is a sometimes difficult step in the recovery process, as the body reacts to the absence of the drug or alcohol. Generally, detox and withdrawal takes about a week, with most symptoms significantly diminishing at about the 5-day mark. Upon intake into the treatment program the clinical team can gather enough data to predict most possible detox challenges. These are determined by how long the substance use disorder has been in place and which substance is involved. Other factors include the person’s health, age, and psychological health.
Although the idea of going through detox can be daunting, it’s important to understand that support is provided. Detox professionals will provide the appropriate medications as needed to help reduce the effects of withdrawal symptoms. In addition, the detox team guides the person through the psychological effects of detox, such as anxiety or depression. Ultimately, getting the executive through detox and safely into treatment is the number one goal.
What Happens in Treatment?
Detox alone will not offer any lasting recovery outcome. The only way to achieve sustained sobriety is by changing the behavior patterns that go with addiction. Therefore, detox goes hand-in-hand with addiction treatment.
After completing detox, the professional will begin a program that is designed specifically for him or her. The features of their tailored program are based on each person’s unique recovery needs. For example, some may have a co-occurring mental health issue to work on while in treatment. On the other hand, some may have a poly-substance addiction that requires special interventions. A quality executive rehab will customize the treatment plan according to the needs of the individual.
While in addiction recovery, the professional will participate in an array of different activities that are designed to work together. This is an integrated approach that has been found to be highly effective. People are not one-dimensional beings, therefore each will respond to treatment differently based on their personality traits.
Both residential and outpatient programs identify the same basic treatment elements required for a positive outcome. However, the residential program will have a wider selection of services as well as 24-hour support. The core interventions include:
- Psychotherapy. A core element of addiction recovery involves psychotherapy. Individuals in recovery may have underlying emotional issues or past traumas that should be examined and treated. Also, cognitive behavioral therapy helps make core changes in thought-behavior patterns that kept a person trapped in addiction behaviors. The recovery skills learned in CBT help reframe disordered thinking toward positive, affirming thoughts and subsequent behaviors.
- Group sessions. Executive rehabs include group work as an essential aspect of recovery. These intimate groups provide a safe setting for peers in recovery to discuss various topics and personal experiences.
- Education. Learning about the impact of alcohol on brain chemistry and structure can be a deterrent to relapse. Additionally, education includes guiding the individual in creating relapse prevention strategies and learning new life skills and coping techniques.
- MAT. Medication-assisted treatment involves the use of drugs in the recovery process. These might include naltrexone, buprenorphine, or methadone to help reduce the substance cravings and relapse risk. This allows the individual to stabilize in recovery.
- 12-step or similar programming. Peer support is a key element in recovery. These meetings provide an opportunity to share experiences, to inspire each other, and to provide accountability to peers.
- Adjunctive activities. Rehabilitation is enhanced through complementary activities. These might include experiential and holistic activities, as well as outdoor recreation. This includes mindfulness meditation, yoga, art therapy, acupuncture, recreational therapy, equine therapy, and other activities that help individuals relax.
Is My Privacy Protected in Treatment?
A residential executive rehab program will adhere to all the HIPAA policies to provide total privacy compliance. Patient information cannot be released to any entity without their permission. In addition to the law, executive rehabs are typically located in a secluded spot where additional privacy is provided. This offers a natural protection and extra level of discretion for executives seeking addiction treatment.
Continuing Care After Executive Rehab
After completing a residential or outpatient program it is important to continue to receive weekly reinforcement and support in recovery. This is called aftercare or continuing care and involves ongoing outpatient services:
- Outpatient therapy sessions. Outpatient therapy involves individual sessions or group therapy. This type of psychological support is essential during early recovery. There are bound to be bumps in the road and talking things out with a therapist offers important guidance.
- Transitional housing. Sober living for a few months is an excellent choice for solidifying recovery after completing the executive rehab program. This is especially so when the home environment is not supportive of recovery efforts. Sober living housing offers a living space free of drugs or alcohol where recovery skills can be practiced and solidified.
- Recovery groups. Ongoing peer recovery meetings, such as A.A., N.A., or programs like SMART Recovery, offer opportunities for social support and fellowship. Recovery communities also provide a great environment to meet new friends and enjoy sober activities.
No matter how busy a job might be it is important to seek help for a substance use disorder. Taking time out to take care of yourself is key to maintaining a healthy and balanced life. In addition, obtaining treatment will help ensure your future success as well.
Capo by the Sea Executive Rehab in Orange County, CA
Capo by the Sea provides the perfect peaceful setting for a busy professional to obtain treatment for a substance use disorder. With luxury accommodations and spa-like amenities, Capo by the Sea leverages its seaside location for a first-rate rehab experience. Capo relies on evidence-based therapies combined with holistic and recreational activities to provide the most effective treatment. In addition, executives are able to access all the needed technology while in treatment. For more information about the program, please contact Capo by the Sea today at 888-529-2114.