When attempting something as monumental as achieving sobriety, it helps to have some handy sources of inspiration available. Sobriety is a long and winding road, pitted with the bumps and potholes that define the daily struggle. But just knowing that this road is well-trodden can help someone in early recovery understand they are not the first ones to make this tenuous journey, and they certainly won’t be the last.
In recovery, finding sources of inspiration is paramount. Each day is a test of commitment, will, and utter perseverance, with umpteen challenges to sobriety faced. Recovering alcoholic quotes, whether they are celebrity quotes or not, can provide the little boosts of motivation needed to stare down those daily challenges and _____ pick sobriety.
Alcoholics Anonymous is another source for inspiring slogans. These short, witty phrases are words to live life by, one day at a time. The A.A. slogans are applicable not only to maintaining sobriety, but also to everyday life challenges that we all confront. In other words, the A.A. recovering alcoholic quotes can serve the bigger picture—coping with stressors.
Following is a collection of 20 inspiring recovering alcoholic quotes that can give you a little boost to re-up your recovery fervor and keep you well grounded in your daily walk on the recovery road.
- “I don’t drink these days. I am allergic to alcohol and narcotics. I break out in handcuffs”
~ Robert Downey Jr.
- “I have other obligations now—the show, my family, my life…though I know that without my sobriety, I wouldn’t have any of those things.”
~ Rob Lowe
- “If I continued it, I was really going to sabotage my whole life…I don’t drink or do drugs anymore. Being sober helps a great deal.”
~ Bradley Cooper
- “I understood, through rehab, things about creating characters. I understaood that creating whole people means knowing where we come from, how we can make a mistake and how we overcome things to make ourselves stronger.”
~ Samuel L. Jackson
- “Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail.”
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “You can come out of the furnace of trouble two ways: if you let it consume you, you come out a cinder; but there is a kind of metal which refuses to be consumed, and comes out a star.”
~ Jean Church
- “No other road, no other way, no day but today.”
~ Jonathan Larson
- “I’m not telling you it is going to be easy, I’m telling you it’s going to be worth it.”
- “I am not defined by my relapses, but by my decision to remain in recovery despite them.”
- “Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life”
~ J.K. Rowling]
- “I went to hell and back, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. Then I wouldn’t be in the position I’m in, happy about life and comfortable in my skin.”
~ Drew Barrymore
- Recovery is not for people who need it, it’s for people who want it.”
- “The mentality and behavior of drug addicts and alcoholics is wholly irrational…and unless they have structured help, they have no hope.”
~ Russell Brand
- “Have patience with all things, but chiefly have patience with yourself. Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections, but instantly set about remedying them – every day, begin the task anew.”
~ Saint Francis de Sales
- “The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones.”
- “Recovery is an acceptance that your life is in shambles and you have to change it.”
~ Jamie Lee Curtis
- “Recovery didn’t open the gates of heaven and let me in. Recovery opened the gates of hell and let me out!”
- “It’s not that some people have willpower and some don’t. It’s that some people are ready to change and others are not.”
- “As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world…as in being able to remake ourselves.”
~ Mahatma Gandhi
- “The thing that I’m most proud of in my life is that if a stranger came up to me and said, ‘I can’t stop drinking. I can’t stop drinking. Can you help me?’ I can say, ‘Yes, I can help you.”
~ Matthew Perry
- “I would rather go through life sober, believing I am an alcoholic, than go through life drunk, trying to convince myself that I am not.”
Capo By the Sea Provides Treatment for Alcohol Addiction in Orange County
Capo By the Sea is a leading rehabilitation center located in a beautiful South Orange County beach community. Capo By the Sea provides luxury accommodations for individuals seeking recovery from alcohol or drug addiction. Hopefully, this collection of inspiring recovering alcoholic quotes will motivate you to overcome an alcohol dependency, or to refresh your commitment to recovery. For more information about our program, please contact Capo By the Sea today at (888) 529-2114.