Table of Contents
You have made the important decision to turn your life around and enter an addiction treatment program. As you approach admittance into the rehab, you may feel a bit overwhelmed, wondering what you need to do. Worry not! This handy guide shows you how to prepare for a residential treatment program.
Preparing for Rehab
Before heading off to the treatment center, there are some steps you can take to help you prepare. Preparing for a residential treatment program reduces stress while also ensuring that things will go smoothly during your absence.
Here are 6 tips to help you prepare for rehab:
- Prepare your family. Sit your immediate family down to inform them of your decision to seek treatment. Consider the age of the children as you have this discussion. Be sure to ask them for their support during treatment and beyond.
- Meet with your employer. Request a medical leave of absence with your HR department. An employee taking a leave of absence is common, and HR will guide you through the process.
- Check your insurance. Contact the insurance provider to get the details about what is covered and what is not. They are able to guide your treatment planning and help estimate your out-of-pocket expenses.
- Arrange for childcare. If you are a parent, make plans to fill the gaps in childcare or school transportation that may result during your absence.
- Prepare the family finances. Prepare your spouse for your absence if you’re the primary source of family income. Familiarize them with which bills are due when, or set up auto-pay at your bank.
- Know what to pack. The treatment center may provide a list of items that are approved or prohibited at the rehab. Pack accordingly. Bring your insurance card and a form of I.D. along. Since cell phones will likely be prohibited, pack some paper, envelopes, and stamps to be able to write your family.
What is the Intake Process?
Before you begin treatment you will meet with the clinical team to complete the intake process. During intake, you will engage in a detailed assessment of your substance use disorder. This process includes:
- Intake interview.
- Review of mental health history.
- Review of health history.
- Drug and alcohol screening.
- Completing assessments or questionnaires.
Once the information is gathered, the clinical team forms a diagnosis and a tailored treatment plan. The treatment plan becomes a blueprint for recovery that guides your case manager and the various therapists you work with in rehab. It also includes recommendations for aftercare, such as stepping down to outpatient treatment.
What is a Residential Treatment Program?
The residential treatment setting allows you to step away from your daily life for a specified period of time. These are inpatient programs that provide housing, meals, and basic services during the period you are in treatment. A residential program is designed in a way that you can focus your time and energy on making necessary changes.
Your journey begins with the completion of the detox and withdrawal portion of recovery, followed by rehabilitation. While you are in rehab, you will engage on a daily basis in a variety of therapies and related activities. Each of the treatment elements you’ll participate in will help to prepare you for a life in recovery. These include:
- Individual psychotherapy. A licensed therapist will help you identify disordered thought and behavior patterns, and then guide you toward making positive changes.
- Group therapy. Peers in rehab gather to discuss topics related to recovery and shifting to a new sober lifestyle.
- Family therapy. Family involvement during the treatment process is helpful for both the individual in rehab and the family members.
- 12-step program. The 12-step program is part of the overall rehabilitation program.
- Education. You’ll learn about the brain science of addiction and how to avoid relapse.
- Holistic activities. Relaxation and stress management are key not only during treatment but also in your ongoing recovery. Holistic methods include yoga, meditation, and massage.
Remember to Plan for Aftercare
Completing detox and treatment is a huge win. By taking those steps, the tools you acquired in the program will equip you for recovery success—at least in the short term. To achieve long-term sobriety, you will need to continue your recovery efforts after discharge from treatment.
As you spend time preparing for a residential treatment program, do take some time to plan for your aftercare needs as well. Here are some guidelines to help in your planning:
- Shore up support. Before you go off to rehab, be sure to sit down with your spouse, or a couple of family members. If you have a close friend in recovery, that is also a great source of support. Ask them to be there for you, to help keep you focused and moving forward in recovery.
- Prepare the home. During the early months of recovery, it is important that any substances in the house be removed. Not just alcohol, but everyday items that may be accessed for a high. These include even things like hand sanitizer, vanilla or almond extract, canned whipped cream, or cough medicine.
- Look into outpatient programs. Many people step down from an inpatient program to an outpatient program after rehab. Outpatient care is very helpful, as it provides a source of ongoing therapy, counseling, and peer support.
- Consider sober living. Not every person leaving rehab has a supportive home to return to. If your home environment is not safe for you while in early recovery, consider a few months in sober living. Sober living homes are a substance-free housing option that also provides peer support. Taking some time to live in sober housing also gives you added time to hone new recovery skills.
- Look into recovery programs. Even before you go to rehab you can begin to look up the local recovery communities in your area. Most metro areas have A.A. or N.A. 12-step groups SMART Recovery groups, and other programs. These programs do differ, so take some time to look them over and even visit a few meetings.
Being prepared in advance for a residential treatment program can truly ease you into recovery and relieve much stress. Start to make your plan now!
Capo by the Sea Offers Luxury Residential Addiction Treatment
Capo by the Sea is a leading residential treatment program located in a beautiful coastal town. This luxury rehab will guide you through detox and treatment, and assist you in your aftercare planning. For more program details call us today at (888) 529-2114.