Completing a rehab program is only the beginning of the recovery journey. Returning back to the former home environment too soon can quickly undo all the hard work of treatment. This can result in a relapse if that home environment is not supportive of recovery efforts. Residing in a sober living community after rehab can offer structure and support in those early months.
What is Sober Living?
Sober living is for individuals who desire a safe, supportive, and substance-free housing option to help maintain and reinforce recovery. Sober living homes provide housing for 4-6 residents on average, and are overseen by a house manager. Residents share household chores and abide by a set of house rules. This set-up promotes accountability between the resident and his or her fellow housemates, and also the house manager.
Sober living homes, also referred to as transitional housing, can provide someone new in recovery an opportunity to stabilize in their sobriety before re-entering their home community. Sober living provides a safe buffer between the newly sober residents and outside influences that could trigger a relapse.
What to Look for in Sober Living Housing San Juan Capistrano
There are certain features that should be represented in a quality sober living home, regardless of the extra services, amenities, and activities being offered. These core features include:
- A zero tolerance policy for drug or alcohol use, possession, or distribution
- A clean, orderly, and well maintained home
- Clearly stated and consistently enforced toxicology testing protocols
- House rules that are stated in writing and enforced
- Required participation in self-directed recovery activities, such as regular attendance at 12-step meetings
- An expectation to secure employment and to adhere to a daily house schedule
- Compliance with local community housing ordinances
5 Benefits of Sober Living in San Juan Capistrano
Leaving the highly structured and supervised rehab environment, and returning to regular life, can pose several challenges to someone new in recovery. Sober living offers an added layer of protection during that early phase of recovery.
Some of the benefits of sober living include:
- A drug and alcohol-free safety zone. Staying in a substance-free living space removes a significant trigger for relapse in early recovery.
- Establish a new healthy routine. Even though new healthy routines are introduced in rehab, it takes time for these to become habit. A sober living home allows you to establish these new healthy habits before returning home.
- Provides a supportive community. Living in a quality sober living community provides a built-in support system. The other recovering housemates, as well as the house manager, offer encouragement and friendship.
- Helps you embrace a sober lifestyle. A common hurdle for the newly recovered is viewing life without their substance as empty and boring. A sober community learns the joy and fulfillment of experiencing social events, sports events, and outdoor activities without drugs and alcohol.
- Offers a pet friendly environment. Having your pet along in sober living helps you feel less alone in an unfamiliar environment. This can help prolong your stay in sober living, further reinforcing recovery.
VERIFY INSURANCE IN MINUTES
We Accept Most PPO Plans
26682 Avenida Las Palmas
Capistrano Beach, CA 92624
27271 Corte Mantecito
San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675
Licensed by the State Department of Health Care Services
#300173EP | exp 05/31/24
Call for Confidential Assessment
Hablamos Español & English
Serving Clients Nationally & Internationally