Prescription Drug Treatment Program at Capo by the Sea
Prescription drug abuse is the use of a medication without a prescription, in a way other than as prescribed, or for the experience or feelings elicited. According to several national surveys, prescription medications, such as those used to treat pain, attention deficit disorders, and anxiety, are being abused at a rate second only to marijuana among illicit drug users. The consequences of this abuse have been steadily worsening, reflected in increased treatment admissions, emergency room visits, and overdose deaths.
Call 888-529-2114to speak with a counselor about our Prescription Drug Treatment program.
What are some of the commonly abused prescription drugs?
Although many medications can be abused, the following three classes are most commonly abused:
- Opiods – usually prescribed to treat pain.
- Central nervous system (CNS) depressants – used to treat anxiety and sleep disorders.
- Stimulants – most often prescribed to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
Dependence vs. Addiction
Physical dependence occurs because of normal adaptations to chronic exposure to a drug and is not the same as addiction. Addiction, which can include physical dependence, is distinguished by compulsive drug seeking and use despite sometimes devastating consequences. Someone who is physically dependent on a medication will experience withdrawal symptoms when use of the drug is abruptly reduced or stopped. These symptoms can be mild or severe (depending on the drug) and can usually be managed medically or avoided by using a slow drug taper. Dependence is often accompanied by tolerance, or the need to take higher doses of a medication to get the same effect. When tolerance occurs, it can be difficult for a physician to evaluate whether a patient is developing a drug problem, or has a real medical need for higher doses to control their symptoms. For this reason, physicians need to be vigilant and attentive to their patients symptoms and level of functioning to treat them appropriately.
- Addiction Treatment for Healthcare Professionals July 9, 2018
- Alcohol Drug and Mental Health Services in Southern California June 25, 2018
- Couples Rehab Near Me June 17, 2018
- Holistic Women’s Inpatient Rehab June 7, 2018
- What Helps Hydrocodone Withdrawal Symptoms May 29, 2018
Call for Confidential Assessment
Serving Clients Nationally & Internationally